Friday, October 14, 2005

2 things this morning

I've been getting a lot of comments about my review of The Passion of the Christ. I'm not entirely surprised since that movie seems to attract controversy like Africa attracts missionaries. But...I'm bracing myself because tomorrow morning, I'm going to review a movie that will no doubt inspire even more controversy: Dr. Goldfoot & the Bikini Machine

Yesterday, I posted my review of Rasputin and wished that the voice of society in the film was more compelling than the voice bent on flaunting all societal conventions. I was thinking about it, and it occured to me that is the problem with too many movies (the Batman movies, for instance). In fact, I can think of only one movie that successfully shows us characters that defy society and characters that protect society with equal weight. Quick Change, with Bill Murray. Weird.

4 comments:

Ash Karreau said...

Don't do it, man! Don't watch Dr. Goldfoot ! Forced camp is like non-consenual anal intercourse; it seems like a good idea at the time, but in the end it just chafes. If you really need to watch terrible sex-ploitation with a 60s twist, watch Candy with Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, and Ringo Starr, which was the worst movie I'd ever seen until I saw Killer Barbys Vs. Dracula

DMW said...

Hi emmy: mostly these are movies that, for whatever reason, I've wanted to watch and never got around to. Some of them are movies I've picked up at garage sales or video store clearance sales because they looked funny or interesting and never watched. Some of them are suggestions from readers.

DMW said...

Boy, Ash, if that's how you feel about non-consenual anal sex, you must be a bigger man than I.

emperor of dirt said...

How weird. I randomly link on your blog, and I just watched Dr. Goldfoot & the Bikini Machine yesterday! That's just too spooky. I will definitely tune in tomorrow to see what you have to say.