Friday, October 07, 2005

Linkages

I've been trying to coordinate some of these movies so that there's a nice linkage between each one. This hasn't exactly worked out. I've been delighted to find some connections in the movies I have watched, though, that were unexpected. For instance: watching Seven Up! I was fascinated at the nature film aspect of watching seven year olds interact with one another and play at being grown ups. The next day, I watched Zardoz and it featured a lot of talk about the evolution of man that felt like a tangental connection to Seven Up. Zadoz features a floating head quite prominently and so I was delighted last night, while watching Zombi 3, when a severed flying zombie head attacked some people. Additionally, there was a scene in this movie where people barricaded themselves in a hotel to escape the zombies, much as the characters in Hotel Rwanda found a hotel to be a safe haven from an overwhelming threat. I began to think that Zombi 3 might contain links to every movie I've watched so far, but, upon further reflection, that would be far too much of a stretch and I don't have the time to engage in those sorts of mental gymnastics.

The most disappointing thing about all of this is that I was planning to follow Zombi 3 with The Passion of the Christ since, as Superman is really an alien, Jesus returning to life after dying would denote him zombie status. Unfortunately, this didn't come to pass and, tonight, I will be inadvertantly finding links between Zombi 3 and Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. And then from that movie to The Passion of the Christ. Which is probably better for some reason.

No comments: